Search

How to Install a Tile Backsplash

added by homeclick 6 month(s) ago
9 3 1

How to Install a Tile Backsplash. A kitchen backsplash is a great way to add value and style to the kitchen space.

• MATERIALS
  • Fiberglass tape
  • Unsanded epoxy grout
  • Tile adhesive
  • Tile
  • Spacers
  • 3” drywall screws
  • TOOLS
  • Square
  • 6” putty knife
  • Grease pencil
  • Drywall knife
  • Tiling float
  • Square notched trowel
  • Screwdriver
  • Towel
  • Sponges
  • Margin trowel
  • Water bucket
  • Measuring tape
  • Wet saw
  • Electric drill
  • Building & Carpentry
  • Kitchen
  • New Jersey
  • 2+ Days
  • Expert

16 steps on 'How to Install a Tile Backsplash'

1Turn power off

Before you begin make sure you turn off the power to the outlets in your kitchen.

2Prepare the wall surface

Prepare the wall surface. It's important to get all the loose debris, like paper and old glue cleaned off the wall.

3Find the wall studs

Locate the wall studs and drill in the 3” drywall screws. About one every 4”. This will help tighten up the drywall.

4Reinforce corners with fiberglass tape

Use fiberglass tape to reinforce corners and any weak or broken areas of drywall.

5Apply layer of tile adhesive

Apply a very thin layer of tile adhesive to the wall and let it dry. The adhesive penetrates into the paper of the drywall and fuses it together, making it more rigid.

6Create a vertical border

Create a vertical border by using a single row of tile. Cut two individual tiles for the top and bottom spaces.

7Spread adhesive with trowel

Using the trowel spread the adhesive evenly over the wall surface.

Note: Use an 1/8" notched trowel when working with thin tile. For thick glass or tile use a 3/16" notch trowel.

8Press tile into the adhesive

Press the tile into the adhesive from the bottom up.

9Tamp the tile

Use the float to tamp the tile in securely and evenly.

10Cut tile for light switches, outlets and windows

Carefully measure, mark and cut the areas using the drywall knife and wet saw for light switches, outlets and windows. Dry tiles thoroughly after cutting with the wet saw.

Note: Always wear eye protection when using a wet saw and keep your fingers as far away from the blade as possible.

11Back butter individual tiles for placement

When using individual tiles, apply a small amount of adhesive directly to the tile and use spacers to maintain even spacing in the grout lines.

Tip: Wash tools in water frequently to maintain a clean edge.

12Inspect completely tiled backsplash

After the backsplash is completely tiled, inspect carefully. Clean any excess adhesive and use spacers to be sure all grout lines are even.

13Allow adhesive to set

Allow adhesive to set overnight.

14Mix grout

Mix grout according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

15Press grout into the joints

Press the grout into the joints using the rubber float. Use the edge of the float to lightly lift off any excess grout.

Note: Check with the tile manufacturer for sealer recommendations.

16Wipe clean

Wipe clean with a damp sponge.

Write your comment or question

By entering your email you agree to receive emails from HomeClick   

10 Comments & 3 Questions
View Questions Only
guestuserMacey Littner commented - 6 month(s) ago
you make it look and sound easy, I hope you are right
guestuserVictor E. commented - 6 month(s) ago
Be sure to pull your outlets out, and away from the wall, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.
guestuserpink_Panther commented - 6 month(s) ago
after having followed the steps, I must say the last step, wiping the grout was more difficult than I had thought
guestuserlacks_idasical commented - 6 month(s) ago
Who needs to hire a professional with such great guidance?
guestuserCaroline D commented - 6 month(s) ago
I used tumbled travertine instead of glass, but followed the steps the same. This was such a really fun and easy process, I continued by tiling the countertop as well. Kitchen makeover in less than 3 days.
guestuserJM asked a question - 6 month(s) ago
Hi, where can I buy this exact tile that you are using in the video? What shade of blue is it? Thanks, Jayne
guestuserNad commented - 7 month(s) ago
Very helpful!
guestuserNad asked a question - 7 month(s) ago
Hi, I have a question, my kitchen wall that I'm going to make the backsplash tile was painted, so should I have to remove the painting before I start ?
homeclickhomeclick answered - 6 month(s) ago
You won't need to remove it, but you should rough it up with sandpaper to give the adhesive a good surface to bond to. If the paint is flaking or peeling, you'll want to remove those sections. Hope this helps and best of luck!
guestusershabbystra commented - 9 month(s) ago
I have successfully followed these instructions and am proud to say that I now have a gorgeous glass backsplash. Thanx
victoria7victoria7 asked a question - 11 month(s) ago
great step-by-step! I'm redoing my kitchen and this will be helpful for me as I prepare to replace my backsplash. quick question: how do you locate wall studs in a house? I'm a novice at this and any advice would be greatly appreciated!
homeclickhomeclick answered - 11 month(s) ago
You'll want to purchase a "stud finder". You can find them at your hardware or big box store. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for, i.e. super cheap stud finders are not always the most accurate...
victoria7victoria7 answered - 11 month(s) ago
thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to find one that's affordable but also decent at what it's supposed to do.